Saturday, October 29, 2011

Adventures in Kindergarten...and Beyond

There is never...ever...a dull moment in Kindergarten. Yesterday we had Harvest Day, which the primary teachers (K-2) had been planning for about a month and a half. The students (and us) dressed as farmers. The kids were so cute in their plaid shirts, blue jeans, hats and bandanas. It was a nice change from their school uniforms. Actually, it's really funny to see them in anything but their uniforms...it's like having new students! All afternoon we rotated through seven classrooms, each a different "station" and did activities such as spoon races, a fall leaf mural, snack, a Harvest story, and so on. The kids LOVED it. They won prizes, collected treasures and got really really really....excited. Even though I didn't let them eat their candy, they still went home like they had had a gallon of sugar.


Warning: Skip this part if you have a weak stomach....its not that bad, though.
To add to the excitement, yesterday I got the lovely job of cleaning up vomit. Thankfully it wasn't on the carpet in the classroom, but in the hallway outside. Oh, it was lovely. I tried to find the custodian, but they were helping with lunch, so the duty was left to me. One of my college professors has children at the school and she happened to be walking through the hallway at the time I was cleaning. I told her, jokingly, that she hadn't taught me this in college. She laughed. :-)


I also got to comfort a middle schooler (our school is K-8) by telling her that I didn't have a boyfriend either. I tell you, the pressure teenage girls put on themselves these days is incredible. I don't know if I helped or not, but at least I could be relateable.


Happy Saturday....I really love Saturdays. :-)

Til next time,
The Kindergarten Teacher!

1 comment: